Monday, March 29, 2010

What would Harriet Tubman say today?


Harriet Tubman





She never made excuses for who and what she was...

"I grew up like a neglected weed -- ignorant of liberty, having no experience of it."



She knew the task was difficult...

"I had crossed the line. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land."



But I wonder what she would say about her people today?

“I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.”



I wonder what she would have said about MLK Jr's Dream?


“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”



She knew a new image of freedom found that became her reason to free others...


“I looked at my hands, to see if I was the same person now that I was free. There was such a glory over everything; the sun came like gold through the trees, and over de fields, and I felt like I was in heaven.”



If knowledge was a snake it would have bit more of us...

“Never wound a snake; kill it.”



I wonder how she would compare our President today to Presidents of her day...

“Forever Free: Abraham Lincoln's Journey to Emancipation.”




As we remember our American history.

What will our future say about how we left them a history of how we are today?

I'm sure her simple prayer was more than enough for her in her day as she would say...


"Lord, I'm going to hold steady on to You and You've got to see me through."



In GOD she trusted.

I wonder how she would see "us" as her people today as we have evolved from her day when it was most important to free as many slaves as she could risk her life for?

It's 2010.

We have all evolved into a new image that many in our past would be proud of if we could only believe that we are living today in a new image of life that is more fair to everyone.

Even if nobody gets reparations for the pain of our past treatment.

But what will so many people who have grown to feel they have been historically unfair for so long in our past that we can not feel our new found freedom as a people together with everyone else who can see the difference too?


How free are you feeling today?

United we stand...

Are you still waiting to be aloud to stand on your own today like it's a new day?

What's stopping you?





respect

No comments: